Sunday, May 18, 2008

Busy Days

The Eastman's have had a busy couple of days. Yesterday they said goodbye to the ophanage and headed to Kiev. I can only imagine how hard it had to be for Oksansa to say goodbye to her friends and the familiarity of the orphanage. She is so brave and I cannot wait to meet her in person.
Below is an update from Tonya:
We went back to the ophanage on Saturday. It was a special day at the Orphanage - no school because a school group from Kiev came to do a program. We went and despite the fact that it was in Ukrainian I am pretty sure it was about the founding of Ukraine. The people at the orphanage are very nice people and are very sad to see the children go. We gave them one of the NC picture books we brought with our family picture and contact information inside and they really liked it. Everyone has - who wouldn't, we have a beautiful state.
We loaded up a very tearful Lyda Oksana, a concerned looking Matthew Dima and a pretty happy Jason Vitali. Ramon said Jason was the happiest person there he also commented that he is never still. Seems like I have heard that said about some other youngsters I know. Oksana withdrew into the corner of the van the entire way to Kiev. Matthew wanted to look at everything that he could get his eyes on, from the lining in the top of the van to every " machina" on the road. Jason played with a water bottle all the way and was pretty good in general with minimal squirming. Remember, there are no car seats or apparently the using of any safety devices by anyone here so the five of us were in the back seat of Nikolai's little Renault van. Once in Kiev - at the same apartment you and I stayed in Mom- Matthew and I went around the block to the store and got some bread, jelly (which I thought was grape but I am pretty sure now is some other berry), water and chips. I had given Oksana a taste of the peanut butter Friday night and she liked it so we lit in and made PB & J's for everyone. They all liked the "American Sandwiches". Immediately after eating (about 1:30) Lyda said it was time for the boys to sleep, took them into the room and two seconds later she was back and the boys were asleep until 5:00. Wanted to write then but left crackberry in room with sleeping children.When boys woke up Joe and I took them to a playground right at the end of the block. Good thing Mom and I had already covered all this territory so we know where everything is - including the nearest McD's which we did not eat dinner at (I want to know who won the pool). Instead we went to a pizza place that was very close (other end of the block) that Nikolai showed us when he let Mom and I out. It was like fast food pizza - high counters to sit at and no low tables so we got a couple of pizzas to go and went back to the apartment to eat. After dinner the boys played a bit and then Oksana said it wat time for a bath. We actually gave them a seudo-shower. The tub has a hand held shower nozzel, so the boys stood in the tub, Lyda soaped and I rinsed em down. I am pretty sure the boys have never experienced a tub before based on their reactions. Mom you are just going to have to imagine what that was like.
Lyda emerged from the van in Kiev much better, though it still took a while for her to really seem comfortable. She has been a fantastic help today (sandwiches, washed the dishes up - boy do I hope that impulse lasts forever-, boys naps and baths). She did spend some time today on the phone to her friends and got a text tonight from Yeva saying that she was sad and crying. Yeva and Oksana are the closest but Lasia was so upset she did not come see us leave today. I actually put a picture of Lyda and Yeva in a picture frame in her room and when she was looking at the pictures of her room on the digital camera she zoomed in on that picture right away and was very happy about it.When we get back we can fill you in on other details - which I would tell you if I was able to keep up with this thing every day - but since we have been quite busy, I have not had time.
Tomorrow is Medical Appointments and Embassy so do not expect any updates until later. Hope this has whet your appetite and gotten you caught back up pretty well. Jason only took an hour and a half to ge to sleep tonight though I am pretty sure it had to do with gas - two brand new foods to his system (peanut butter and pizza). He settled down pretty quickly after giving him a children's Pepto (thanks Ribble).

Tonz (up waaay past my bedtime)

No comments: