Monday, March 10, 2008

Our First Full Day In Kiev

Well, we did get on the 6:45 (more like 7:30PM) flight out of RDU. Landed at London - Gatwick about 7:15 AM (London time). A trip through customs and reclaiming of baggage gave us about 3 hours before our flight from Gatwick to Kiev. We found a quiet spot to sit down. Joe found a Krispy Kreme donut place and diet coke and we chatted with a nice man from San Francisco for a little while.

We checked in with Ukraine Airlines, made another trip through security and found our way to the gate. If it is possible I believe the space between the seats was about the smallest space I have been in. If Joe was 1 inch taller he would not have fit at all. 3 1/2 hours later we landed in Kiev. Customs was not that bad. Waited for about 10 minutes for Konstantine, threw all our stuff in his car and off we went. Do not ask me where we went, it felt like we took a tour of the entire city. We stopped to change money and drop off some paperwork. We finally made it to our apartment sometime after 7:00 PM (Kiev time). Konstantine helped give us a quick tour of the area - mall, grocery store, internet cafe (looked sketchy - found a better one today) and a couple of restaurants. He went to dinner with us and answered our many questions about the adopotion process.

We went to sleep around 11:00 PM (Kiev time) and rolled out of the bed at 12:00 (PM) today. After a quick tour through the mall we had some yummy pizza for lunch, tried to figure out where we are in Kiev (still not sure), and went out again to find an internet cafe. We did try to look at the sketchy one Konstantine showed us last night but thank goodness it was not open and not far down the street we have found us a nice Cafe that has free wi-fi as long as you buy something. I do not recommend the COKE as it comes room temperature (note to self). We need to go back to the mall to get some flowers to take to our appointment tomorrow (still do not know what time) and make a quick trip through the grocery store.

Tomorrow is our appointment with the central adoption agency - we will learn about our prospective new family! Keep us in your thoughts!


Tonya & Joe

6 comments:

Tucker Family said...

We are praying for you!!

Tadd said...

I am so impressed with the Blackberry. How cool that you can call the Ukraine and not even have to dial 919. We will say extra prayers tonight about your meeting tomorrow. Can't wait to hear how it goes so blog again soon.

Madison is very concerned about you. She asked me a couple of times today if you were headed back yet.

Much love from the USA
Tadd, Rachel, Madison, and Lindsay

Summer Sneed said...

ACK!!! I don't know how you stand it! I checked the site today to see what you found out and I am so excited I don't know what to do...I can't even imagine your anticipation! It sounds like you are on a serious adventure and I'm thankful you found a wi-fi spot that isn't sketchy. I remember Emilie telling us about the room-temp drinks, but still! Can't they find ICE somewhere? Isn't it still snowing there!? Thinking of you and waiting anxiously.... Summer

Matthew Caggia said...

Hey Guys! I am very excited for you! I am checking your blog here everyday. Thanks for the updates! Matt

Anonymous said...

I keep checking about evey hour for your next post. I am very anxious to know what's going on!! Please let us know as soon as you can.
Emilie
P.S. All drinks will be room temp. I liked the pear soda and rasberry soda.

Anonymous said...

Hi.

I was just thinking of both of you and wondering how it was going. Sorry to hear of the plane problems.

At this point, you have probably met some of the potential children. I hope that all is going smoothly. You have the thoughts and prayers of many people with you as you make this tough decision.

-Rebecca